A good oral hygiene is the ultimate key to keeping your teeth and mouth clean and healthy. And there are a lot of things that make up a good oral hygiene. The most important aspects are brushing, flossing and your regular dental visits. You can also do proper oral home care at home to maintain good oral health. You cannot just rely on your dentist alone to provide care for your teeth because of course, you have a bigger responsibility on your personal health.
Maintaining a good oral health is vital not only for you to have beautiful looking teeth, but for you to have a healthier body. When you have oral health conditions, you are also at risk of developing serious medical problems.
But these things can be avoided if you follow these tips to improve the condition of your oral health and achieve the smile that you’ve always dreamed of.
- Make sure that when you brush, you brush properly and effectively. It’s not just enough for you to do the habit or the routine, you also have to make sure that you it properly and effectively. To ensure thorough cleaning, you should be using the right toothbrush that fits perfectly in your mouth and it should have soft bristles. This will make it easier for you to reach the back areas of your teeth and the areas of your mouth that also need cleaning. Also, you have to choose the toothbrush with soft bristles so that you can clean you the tiny spaces between your teeth and to also make sure that you do not cause damage and irritation to your gums.
Replacing your toothbrush every 2 to3 months is also a must because they will no longer be effective when it comes to cleaning if the tips are flattened out and if the bristles are already worn out. Over time, they will no longer be able to remove the plaque from the surfaces of your teeth.
- Use fluoride toothpaste because fluoride is a very helpful mineral when it comes to increasing your teeth’s protection against plaque and cavity causing bacteria. It is effective in slowing down the decay of your teeth as well as the development of plaque. If you always incorporate fluoride in your brushing, you can make the most of your brushing.
- Brush your teeth twice daily. Every time you eat, it’s easy for your teeth to trap food particles, which explains why it is important to brush so that they do not linger in your teeth for so long, otherwise they will only result in the formation of plaque and plaque is the gateway to cavities and tooth decay.
Brushing after every meal is also better but there are also times when it is not advisable to brush after eating especially when you just finished eating foods that are high in acid content. These are the food types that not friendly to your teeth because they only eat away your tooth enamel and makes it thinner and weaker. If you eat or drink highly acidic foods, it is better to wait for about 2 hours before you brush your teeth.
- Do not miss flossing. Flossing is also an important part of good oral hygiene, and it offers many benefits when it comes to keeping your teeth and gums clean and healthy. When you floss, you can ensure thorough cleaning of your teeth because it allows to get rid of everything that sits in between the tiny spaces between your teeth including the food particles and the debris. Flossing also removes the deposits of plaque along the gum line and this will help you avoid the development of gum problems. Flossing should be incorporated in your daily oral routine and must be done at least once a day.
- Visit your dentist regularly. A lot of people have been taking this for granted, some never visits their dentist and some would only visit when they have time. But you must understand how important your dental checkups are. This allows your dentist to conduct full assessment of your mouth conditions to ensure you don’t have oral health conditions that need treatment. And this allows you to stay on top of your oral health.
For more information on good oral hygiene, you can call New Dental Images at (916) 270-2737, or visit us at 9275 E. Stockton Blvd, #200 Elk Grove, CA 95624.